Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Los Osos Oktoberfest

So, I just completed my first competitive run! On Sunday, I ran in the Los Osos Oktoberfest 4 mile race. Most impressively, I finished the run - LOL! Ever since we returned from Europe, I haven't been running consistently and decided to run this race on a whim, without any recent training. I set the bar for my goal really low - and while I don't think I'll share how long it took me to complete the race (let's just put it this way, I definitely didn't break any records in my age class), I did beat my goal - by 22 seconds. Well, at least I beat my goal! I'm not a very competitive person by nature, but I found the competitive aspect of the run really motivating. For instance, when the seven year old sisters started to pass me, I picked up the pace. When the 80 year old grandma walking started to pass me, I picked up the pace. Okay... maybe I'm exaggerating on that last one, but you get the gist of it. Now, I have to find a new race to train for. I know a four mile race seems pretty meek, but for a girl who couldn't run at all (due to my arthritis) until I was 24, this is huge!

No comments: