I just had a little exchange with two of my neighbors.
Some background: Two of my neighbors like to rag on Mike. They like to play it off as "good old boys" humor but it really bothers me, because it's just plain rude. To tell you the truth, I find it totally offensive to me, too.
Example: Everytime I do yard work, they make comments about why isn't Mike helping me.
Example: I was rolling the trash and recycling bins to the curb a few weeks ago when Number One (I will from here on refer to them as Number One and Number Two, because I think the euphamisms are quite fitting) said to me "Jeez, do you have to do all the heavy lifting?" I just looked at him and said "yes and Mike is inside vacuuming right now (because he was)."
Today, Mike is working without pay for 8 hours to help a friend teach a field course. On top of his 50 hour work weeks, he almost always spends part of Saturday and/or Sunday preparing lesson plans and grading papers/exams. It's the way to work your way up the community college ladder. I decided it would be nice to mow the lawns for him. It would be nice for him not to have to do it tomorrow, and we can just have fun putting the Christmas tree and decorations up together. When I got to the front yard, of course Number One and Number Two are outside (they basically spend all weekend milling around the neighborhood). When I finish up the job, Number One calls over: "Hey, how much is Mike paying you to do that!" (as if I have an allowance!). In an attempt to get him to elaborate, I asked "what are you trying to say?" and then Number Two calls over: "Yeah, can you teach my wife to do that?" This is when I turned to Number Two and said "you know, as someone who has two daughters, I wouldn't expect you to subscribe to gender rules." At which point they both rolled their eyes and went inside.
Fuck 'em
1 comment:
ugh. good old boys. i've got my fair share of them in this neck of the woods. annoying!
Post a Comment