Monday, April 21, 2008

Palmdale

On Thursday, April 17th, 2008 and Friday, April 18th, 2008, I went to Palmdale for work to do small mammal trapping and bird surveys. I was so glad this trip was scheduled in April, when the weather was pleasant (in the high 70s, perfect!). Now, many of you may not know this about me, but I LOVE trapping small mammals. Let me be the first to tell you: native mice and rats are actually VERY cute (not like those disgusting house mice and rats living in attics!)
Here is a kangaroo rat (Dipodomys agilis), which is called such because of its huge hind feet that it hops on. They also have big 'ole cheek pouches which they store seed and grains in. They are super cute! We caugh lots of 'em

Another cool trap was a California pocket mouse (Chaetodipus californicus), who liked Tom's arm very much. Check out that extra long black and white tail!


And here is a very young Coast horned lizard. It was very small (you can't tell from this picture, but it was only about 4 inches long) but so cute. At first, it was really difficult to see but then after holding it for a while and putting it back down, it was much lighter. I learned that Coast horned lizards can blend in which their environments.


The Coast horned lizard after we put it down, a bit easier to see. Look at that little nubby tail.





No comments: